CALL FOR APPLICATIONS
Assistant Professorship (“adiunkt” in Polish terminology) in the Chair of Logic, Philosophy of Science and Epistemology is available at the Department of Philosophy, Sociology and Journalism, University of Gdansk, Poland. The position is to start on February 1, 2019 at the earliest and on October 1, 2019 at the latest. The position is for a fixed number of years (most likely, 2) with the possibility of further extensions (up to a permanent position).
The successful candidate will be expected to do research in mathematical philosophy, philosophical logic or philosophy of science, teach about 240 academic hrs (each is 45 minutes) per academic year, apply for external research funding, participate in the research activities of the Chair, in the life of the department, and in the administrative work as necessary. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled or until November 23, 2018, whichever comes first. No knowledge of Polish is or will be required, although willingness to learn might be an asset.
Candidates for Assistant Professorship are required to:
- have a PhD in a discipline relevant to mathematical philosophy, philosophy of science or philosophical logic,
- have relevant teaching experience (the ability to teach courses related to the philosophy of science, and courses that do not belong to logic proper is desirable)
- have carried out research in mathematical philosophy, publishing in international journals in the field.
- international experience is appreciated.
Applications should be submitted in (both) paper and digital versions.
PAPER VERSIONS should be composed of:
1. An application letter for employment to the Rector of the University of Gdansk, Professor Jerzy Piotr Gwizdała (this is just an open-format letter stating the intention),
2. The application form obtained from the University of Gdansk webpage
(titled in Polish ‘Kwestionariusz osobowy dla osoby ubiegającej się o zatrudnienie JĘZYK ANGIELSKI’, the form itself is in English),
3. Academic CV,
4. A covering letter describing in ca 1000 words the research plans for the next two years,
5. A copy of the PhD diploma.
Paper applications are to be sent to:
Institute of Philosophy, Sociology and Journalism
Faculty of Social Sciences
University of Gdansk
80-309 Gdansk, Poland
with a note on the envelope “Application for Assistant Professorship”.
DIGITAL VERSIONS should be sent by email, in a single PDF file named:
Each digital application should be composed of the following parts (in the following order):
1. Title page with name and contact data (including email address), listing also two referees who might be contacted with referee letter request (to be sent within two weeks from the request) if the application is shortlisted,
2. CV, including a publication list and describing relevant education and research experience,
3. A covering letter describing in ca 1000 words research plans for the next two years,
4. A sample paper, not related to the PhD thesis (if such a paper exists),
5. PhD thesis,
6. Scanned version of the PhD diploma.
Digital applications are to be sent to both addresses:
Applications should be made in Polish or English. Incomplete applications will be rejected without further notice. The decision is final with no right to appeal. The University doesn’t provide housing. The University reserves the right to close the hiring process without selecting a candidate. Candidates whose applications have been rejected will be informed.
Further information about the University of Gdansk can be obtained at:
Further information about Gdansk can be obtained at:
For informal inquiries, please contact prof. dr hab. Rafal Urbaniak at:
The official document available here.